Monday 12 December 2011

Ah-Mazing

Wow!! I cannot believe that a week of outreach has past already and what a busy week it has been. It took us a about 3 days to get here, to Penang, Malaysia. The train ride was epic but fun. The most fun.. first squatty potty experience on a rocking train..haha.. So hard not to pee on yourself.. but I was successful and didn't spill a drop. I am totally hoping this will be a continuing tradition.

So it is totally hot and sticky here and I already have an awesome t-shirt tan (yes mum I am wearing sunscreen) but I think I am adjusting to it pretty well. I go with an attitude of yes its hot but I cant do much about it so suck it up and get on with life. And the food.. AWESOME.. true that you do not always know what you are getting but most of the time if you don;t look too close then it is no worry at all. Although I don;t think I have ever said grace and blessed my food with so much sincerity before haha.. So far so good. I have totally turned my food science brain off though.  haha..

So we officially arrived in Penang on Wednesday had Thursday off and the traveled to Sungei Petani on Friday. There we were asked to be involved in a Christmas concert that a local church was putting on for a Hindu orphanage. We did a very short skit of the Nativity story with the main focus of the Wise Men following the star. We got some laughs from the kids so that was a good sign. The next day we were asked to spend some time at the orphanage and put on a bit of a program for them. I pulled out my best kids songs for them.. Na Na Narni went very well. Mostly we just chased the kids and played soccer for the 4 hours that we were there. It was awesome to see their smiling faces and just love them.  That night we were asked by our next door neighbour Jimmy to go to his church with him. We had met him the previous day and he was very excited for us to meet his family. So we walked off into the darkness with Jimmy and got in a car with his nephew and went to church  I shake my head all the time when we do stuff like that cos you would probably never do that at home, but not once have I felt unsettled or scared about what we are doing. God really does have us in his hands.



So now we are back in Penang. Not sure what is next, we kind of just go with whatever and plans change all the time. I am thinking that I should probably throw my watch away. There is no point wearing it because we are running a Malaysian time and things happen just when they happen. Right now I am totally pumped for dinner!!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! So good to hear, Meg - it's so great to read this and get your perspective. God's moving in you, it's so clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very prompt response to my demand for an update. Good job! I am glad that you are having an ah-mazing time. Love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your time is going well and how you are jumping in with both feet! You won't be disappointed.

    I like hearing about the warmth esp since I writing this from Winnipeg where it is -11C & snowing...brrr.

    ReplyDelete