Wednesday 28 September 2011

The second hardest thing about a blog is....

.... Thinking up a new title for each new entry...This entry could be called, Week 2 or Hearing the Voice of God or ...... So i'll go without a title. I have such a maths/science brain that I struggle to be creative. It was an epic story to even think of a domain name.. Anyway onto something hopefully a little bit more interesting.. So last week the classes were on Hearing the Voice of God. We learnt about different ways God speaks to us, hinderances that stop us from hearing Gods voice and taking time to actually listen. One bit of homework was to pick a classmates name out of a hat and then ask God to give us something for that person. I felt like I had to pray for my person but didn't know what to pray for. Then I heard them talking about something that had happened and my stomach flipped and I was like I will totally pray for my person about that. So that was pretty cool.I also had to do a 5 min presentation on the one of the names for God. I picked God as Living Water. Its for us to practice speaking in front of people in case we are asked to preach at a church or lead a study group or something.. ARRRRGH. IT went pretty well although a bit short on time 3.5 mons but I did speak a bit quick. Thats something I have been working on because sometimes the Canadians can't even understand what i'm saying hehe Much of the rest of last week is now a bit of a blur. The weekend I didn't do much. Worked on my journal or processing book and then I was on dinner duty for Saturday and Sunday night so that took up most of my afternoon both days. But the food turned out good and I didn't poison anyone!

Today we spent the afternoon researching the countries that we will be visiting. We broke into 2 groups, one to look at Malaysia and the other Thailand. Next week we have to present back to the other group what we found. Its really interesting looking at what is and what is not culturally acceptable to do. I think its going to be tough at sometimes to remember those things. Like you can't have your feet above someones head, or you can't touch people on their head at all.

Next week I am leading worship with another girl. She is playing the guitar and singing and I'm playing keys. We practise last night and it went pretty well. So that should be good.

So I haven't really said much about the neighbourhood we live in.. but its a pretty crazy place. A block down from where we live is the epicentre of Hastings Sunrise, the 'suberb' we live in. So there is 7-11 and Dairy Queen on opisite corners and thats where it all happens. I was asked the other day of I would like to buy some weed, (umm no thanks), then a guy that works at 7-11 asked me if I would like to go on a date (umm no thanks) and then there is the friendly (or not so friendly) neighbourhood prostitute. The outside the supermarket, starbucks and London drugs are usually the homeless people asking for change. Before moving here, I knew all that stuffed happened but it was never in my face. Now it is. Yesterday afternoon as I was walking home there was a massive fight outside of Dairy Queen. There was a guy on a bike and this other guy ran up the hill behind him, ouched him off his bike and laid into him with a baseball bat.He ended up against a fence in the foetal position just trying to protect himself. It was crazy!! Yet the guy on the bike was back later just hanging out at the corner again, with toilet paper stuck to his gashes on his face. I think he may have been a pimp, as there is a girl with him that is coming and going all the time.

Yeah all this stuff happens, but not once have I felt unsafe. There is definately a God bubble of protection over what we are doing here.

Well thats all for now, and its officially tea time. BBQ pork chops and rice. Smells YUMMY.

Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment